How To Block or Disable amazon fire tv stick Updates
For those of you who own a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, you have probably noticed that it performs automatic updates without any intervention on your part. This can be a great thing if you don’t use any sideloaed apps such as FireStarter.This tutorial will walk you through the necessary steps on how to block or disable Fire TV updates on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. This is an easy process that can also be undone very quickly if you would like to resume receiving automatic updates for your Amazon Fire TV.
With the latest release of Fire TV firmware 220.127.116.11, you have probably noticed that FireStarter no longer works properly. The big question is, “What other steps will Amazon take in the future to ban other applications, such as Kodi?”
For now, I don’t want to take the chance of not being able to use Kodi so I am going to block or disable Fire TV updates on all of my devices so I can rest assured that I will always be able to use Kodi.
This process only takes a few minutes and can be accomplished with two programs; ADBFire, and Debloater. You may find download links for each program below.
How To Block or Disable Fire TV Updates Tutorial
It is recommended that you watch the video below these brief instructions which will provide in-depth details for each step.
ADB Fire Download (step 3)
Debloater Download (step 4)
Steps On How To Block Fire TV Updates
- Ensure ADB Debugging is turned on within your Fire TV system settings.
- Write down your IP address of the Fire TV that you want to turn off automatic updates.
- Install ADB Fire on your computer and input proper settings.
- Install Debloater onto your computer.
- Connect to your Fire TV device with ADBFire.
- Once connected via ADB Fire, start Debloater application.
- In Debloater, check the box for the following .apk file – DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk (com.amazon.device.software.ota).
- Click Apply.
Video Tutorial With Step-By-Step Detailed Instructions